Dalcha, is an Indian lentil-based stew originating from Hyderabad, Telangana, India. The primary ingredients are lentils, which can be Chana Dal or sometimes Tur dal. Vegetables or meats, both chicken or mutton may also be added to the stew, so if mutton is added it will be called a mutton dalcha. Bottle gourd is another key ingredient in Dalcha. It is traditionally served with the rice dish called bagara khana.
- 300 grams Chana Dal
- 250 grams lamb meat
- Diced 1 inch piece ginger
- Finely chopped 6 garlic cloves,
- Finely chopped 2 green chillies,
- Chopped cinnamon stick,
- Nice powdered 2 green cardamoms
- 2 medium sized onions
- Finely chopped Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- Take a pressure cooker and add toor dal, turmeric powder, and curry leaves
- Then add water and pressure cook until the dal is tenderised.
- Then, heat 3 tablespoons of oil and add 1 cinnamon stick, 1 cardamom, 2 cloves, ½ teaspoon shahi zeera, 1 bay leaf.
- Add 2 large finely sliced onions and saute it until they turn soft. Then add 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- Add 500 gms mutton with bones. Saute the mutton until the color of the mutton changes.
- Pressure cook until mutton turns tender (4-5 whistles on low heat).
- Reduce the steam and remove the lid. Add 1 medium size bottle gourd cut into small pieces.
- Take a vessel, add 1 cup cooked and mashed toor dal.
- Give a good mix without lumps. Add 1 cup water or as per consistency required. Add ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Serve the dalcha hot with bagara or white rice.
Know More: Hyderabadi Qubani Ka Meetha Recipe
More from Author