Explore Tawang : Are you looking for a unique and off-the-beaten-path destination in India? Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh is the perfect place for you! With its beautiful landscape, rich culture, and Buddhist monasteries, Tawang is a must-visit destination. Come and discover all that this stunning region has to offer.
About Tawang in Arunanchal Pradesh
Tawang is situated at an altitude of 3,048 meters (10,000 feet) in the northwestern part of the state, near the Bhutan border. Tawang is known for its beautiful landscape and Buddhist monasteries. Tawang is also home to several small villages inhabited by the Monpa people, who are of Tibetan descent.
Things to do in Tawang
- Visit the Tawang Monastery:Tawang Monastery is one of India’s largest and most important monasteries. It is home to over 700 monks and is a popular destination for Buddhist pilgrims.
- Explore the local villages: The region around Tawang is home to several small villages inhabited by the Monpa people of Tibetan descent. These villages offer a unique glimpse into this community’s culture and way of life.
- Go hiking:Tawang is surrounded by beautiful mountains and forests, making it a great destination for hikers. You can explore several trails, ranging from easy to challenging.
- Visit the War Memorial:Tawang is home to the Tawang War Memorial, built in honour of the soldiers who fought in the 1962 Sino-Indian War. The memorial is located on the main road leading to the town and is a popular tourist attraction.
- Visit the Sela Pass: The Sela Pass is a high-altitude mountain pass near Tawang. It is a popular destination for tourists who enjoy scenic drives and it offers beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.
Magical Waterfalls in Tawang
- Nuranang Falls
Also known as the “Jang Falls,” this 100-meter (328-foot) high waterfall is located in the Nuranang River. It is a popular tourist destination and is known for its beautiful surroundings.
- P.T. Tso Falls
Also known as the “Madhuri Lake,” this small lake is located near the Sela Pass and is fed by a small waterfall. It is surrounded by beautiful scenery and is a popular destination for tourists visiting Tawang.
- Bap Teng Kang Waterfall:
This small waterfall is located near the Tawang Monastery and is a popular spot for tourists to take pictures.
- Zemithang Hot Spring
This hot spring is located near the Sela Pass and is known for its therapeutic properties. The spring is surrounded by a beautiful setting and is a popular destination for tourists visiting Tawang.
Traditional Food to Eat in Tawang
Tawang has a diverse and unique cuisine influenced by the region’s geography, climate, and cultural traditions. Some of the famous foods of Tawang and the surrounding region include:
Explore More: Clock Tower Market – The Shopping Hub of Ludhiana
- Thukpa: This is a Tibetan noodle soup popular in Tawang and the surrounding region. It is typically made with noodles, vegetables, and meat or tofu.
- Momos: Momos are steamed dumplings filled with vegetables or meat and are a popular snack in Tawang.
- Kinema: Kinema is a fermented soybean dish that is a staple of the Monpa people, who are native to the Tawang region. It is often cooked with vegetables and meat to make a curry-like dish.
- Apong: Apong is a type of rice beer that is popular in Tawang and the surrounding region. It is made from fermented rice and is often served during festivals and celebrations.
- Butter tea: Butter tea, also known as po cha, is a traditional Tibetan tea made with butter, salt, and milk. It is a popular drink in Tawang.
Where to Stay in Tawang
There are several options for accommodation in Tawang. Some options include:
- Hotels: There are several hotels in Tawang, ranging from budget to luxury. Some popular options include Hotel Tawang, Hotel Mon, and Hotel Snow View.
- Homestays: Homestays offer a more authentic and local experience, as you will be staying with a local host in their home. Several homestays are available in Tawang, including the Tawang Homestay and the Monpa Homestay.
- Resorts: If you’re looking for a more luxurious experience, a few resorts in Tawang offer comfortable and upscale accommodations. Some popular options include the Orchid Lake Resort and the Hotel Gakyi Khang Zhang.
- Camping: Tawang is surrounded by beautiful forests and mountains, making it a great destination for camping. Some campsites in the region include the Tawang Campsite and the Sela Pass Campsite.
- Monasteries: Some of the monasteries in Tawang, such as the Tawang Monastery, offer accommodation to visitors. This is a unique opportunity to experience the monastic way of life and immerse yourself in the local culture.
How to Reach Tawang
By Air: The nearest airport to Tawang is in Tezpur, Assam, about 350 kms away. From Tezpur, you can take a taxi or hire a car to reach Tawang.
By Road:Tawang is well-connected by road to major cities in the region. The town is located on National Highway 13, which connects it to Tezpur and Guwahati. You can hire a taxi or catch a bus from these cities to Tawang.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Tawang is located in Harmuti, Assam, about 330 kms away. From Harmuti, you can hire a taxi or catch a bus to Tawang.
By Helicopter: There are daily helicopter services from Guwahati to Tawang. The flight takes about two hours and is a convenient way to reach the town, especially if you are short on time.
Tawang is an incredible destination that offers something for everyone. Whether you’re a nature lover, a history buff, or simply looking to relax and unwind, Tawang has something to offer. And what better time to visit than in the winter months? The weather is cool and crisp, and the town is decked out in holiday cheer. So why wait? Pack your bags and experience the magic of Tawang this winter. You won’t be disappointed!
India is blessed with many attractive destinations and it is not that difficult to choose one for your next vacation. However, instead of picking the routine destinations, this time take your loved ones to any unexplored location and enjoy each moment. TheTravelB.Com is your best guide to select underrated destinations across India. Reach us @ https://thetravelb.com/contact-us/ or send an email to email@example.com to share your experiences or for any suggestions.
Types of Rasgullas to try in Odisha
Foods to Try in Punjab During the Harvest Festival
More from Author