Ancient Buddhist Village of India : If you’re a traveller who loves to immerse yourself in new cultures and explore off-the-beaten-path destinations, then Sanchi is the perfect place for you. As you step off the plane and into the bustling streets of Sanchi, you’ll be immediately struck by the vibrant culture and rich history surrounding you. From ancient temples to bustling markets, there’s always something new and exciting to discover in this magical city. This hidden gem in the heart of India is waiting to be discovered, and we can’t wait to share its wonders with you.
Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh
Sanchi is a small village located in the state of Madhya Pradesh in India, and it is home to some of the most beautiful and ancient Buddhist structures in the world.One of the main attractions in Sanchi is the Sanchi Stupa, a large, dome-shaped structure built in the 3rd century BCE. The stupa is believed to contain the remains of the Buddha, and it is a popular destination for Buddhists from all over the world.
If you’re planning a trip and are interested in Buddhism or ancient history, Sanchi is a must-visit destination. The peaceful atmosphere and beautiful surroundings make it the perfect place to relax and unwind, and the rich cultural history makes it an unforgettable experience.
Explore More Places at TheTravelb.com
Things to do in Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh
There are several things to do in Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh, including:
- Visit the Sanchi Stupa: The Sanchi Stupa is the main attraction in Sanchi and is a must-see for anyone visiting the village. The stupa is a large, dome-shaped structure that contains the remains of the Buddha and is a sacred site for Buddhists.
- Explore the other ancient Buddhist structures: In addition to the Sanchi Stupa, there are several other ancient Buddhist structures in the village, including the Great Bowl, the Ashoka Pillar, and the Temple of Dreams. These structures offer a glimpse into the rich history of Buddhism in India.
- Visit the temples and monasteries: Sanchi is home to several beautiful temples and monasteries worth exploring. These religious sites offer a peaceful atmosphere and great places to meditate and reflect.
- Go on a nature walk: Sanchi is surrounded by beautiful natural scenery, and there are several trails and paths where you can go for a leisurely walk and enjoy the fresh air.
- Try the local food: Sanchi is home to several small restaurants and food stalls where you can try traditional Indian dishes and local specialities.
- Shop for souvenirs: There are several small shops in Sanchi where you can buy souvenirs and handicrafts to take home.
- Visit the Sanchi Museum: The Sanchi Museum is a great place to learn more about the history and culture of the region. The museum houses a collection of ancient artefacts and exhibits that provide insight into the village’s past.
Foods to Try at Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh
The local cuisine reflects the region’s rich cultural history and diverse culinary influences. Some popular dishes from Sanchi and the surrounding area include:
DaalBafla: This dish is made with boiled lentils and wheat balls cooked in a spicy tomato-based sauce. It is often served with rice or chapatis (flatbread).
Poha: Poha is made with flattened rice cooked with onions, spices, and, occasionally, peanuts and raisins. It is a popular breakfast dish in Madhya Pradesh.
Kachori: Kachori is a deep-fried snack with a spicy mixture of lentils and spices. It is often served with a side of chutney or yoghurt.
Bhutte Ka Kees: This is a sweet and savoury dish cooked with grated corn, spices, and milk. It is a popular snack in Madhya Pradesh and is often served as street food.
Jalebi: Jalebi is a sweet, deep-fried snack made with flour and sugar syrup. It is a popular dessert in Madhya Pradesh and is often served with a side of rabri (sweetened, condensed milk).
There are several options for accommodation in Sanchi, including guesthouses, hotels, and resorts. Some popular options include:
- Sanchi Tourist Bungalow: This is a budget-friendly option that the Madhya Pradesh Tourism Department runs. The bungalow has a range of rooms and a restaurant on-site.
- Sanchi Retreat: This mid-range option offers comfortable rooms and amenities, such as a swimming pool and a garden. It is located near the Sanchi Stupa.
- The Gateway Hotel Sanchi: This is a luxury hotel that offers a range of modern amenities, including a fitness centre, a spa, and a restaurant. It is located in the heart of the village and is within walking distance of the main attractions.
- Sanchi Hill Resort: This is a budget-friendly option located on the outskirts of the village. It offers basic rooms and amenities, such as a restaurant and a garden.
It is always a good idea to book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak tourist season. This will ensure you have a place to stay when you arrive in Sanchi.
How to Reach Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh
By Air: The nearest airport to Sanchi is the Bhopal Airport, located about 50 kilometres away. You can hire a taxi from the airport or take a bus to Sanchi.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Sanchi is the Bhopal Railway Station, located about 45 kilometres away. You can hire a taxi from the railway station or take a bus to reach Sanchi.
By Road: Sanchi is well-connected and easily accessible by bus or car from major cities such as Bhopal and Indore. There are regular bus services from these cities to Sanchi. If you are driving from Bhopal, it takes about 1 hour to reach Sanchi by car.
By Bike: Sanchi is a great destination for a road trip, and there are several rental agencies in Bhopal and Indore where you can hire a bike. This is a convenient and cost-effective way to reach Sanchi and explore the surrounding area.
We highly recommend exploring the beautiful village of Sanchi on your next trip to India. From the ancient Buddhist structures and peaceful temples to the delicious local cuisine and charming accommodations, there is something for everyone in this hidden gem. So why wait? Start planning your trip to Sanchi today and discover all that this amazing destination has to offer.
Explore More: How Does a Day in Jalandhar Look Like
Top 5 Places to Visit in Arunachal
How Does a Day in Hoshiarpur look like
More from Author